Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Chapter 7: Not Your ordinary Love Story, Part Two


















From: Amazing Journey, Amazing Grace

As the reality of singleness set in, I became acutely aware of how many things I was now responsible for. I needed to earn enough money to keep a roof over my head; I needed to keep that roof, and everything below it, clean, maintained and repaired; and, I needed to keep all the inhabitants under that roof well-fed and healthy. Wow! How could I ever manage all of these responsibilities as a single mom?! As a single homestay mom?! I needed superhuman strength--and wisdom, too.

One day I felt particularly overwhelmed by the enormity of my responsibility and my inability to get everything done. How could I keep up? I was sooo tired. All I could do was pray and wait for the answer. It came soon enough.

Have you ever read something that really resonated with you? That while you were reading, you just knew those words were meant for you? That while you were reading, the words were almost popping off the page at you?

Well, that’s what happened to me one morning as I sat reading my Bible. I had a strong sense that God was telling me to take particular notice of the words:
“Fear not; you will no longer live in shame. The shame of your youth and the sorrows of widowhood will be remembered no more, for your Creator will be your ‘husband. The LORD Almighty is his name! He is your Redeemer, the Holy One of Israel, the God of all the earth. For the LORD has called you back from your grief—a young wife abandoned by her husband.” (Living Bible)

Wow! The message couldn’t have been plainer!

In the past God had repeatedly told me not to worry about anything. Now as I read and re-read those verses in Isaiah, it slowly dawned on me that here was the reason why! It was because HE would fill the role of a ‘husband’ in my life. HE would be my protector, my provider and my comforter. HE would make sure there was help when I needed it. I would not be doing everything alone! Once this realization sank in, I was in awe of how freeing is God's love.

First of all, His love frees me to be the real me that He created me to be. I no longer have to ‘walk on eggshells.’ With God I can just relax and be myself. When I pray to Him, I don’t fear he will reject what I'm feeling and saying. He will be patient with me. If I'm wrong, he will gently correct me.

Secondly, His love frees me to be the new me that He is helping me to become. Less insecure, less self-centered, less worried, more loving, more accepting, more patient, more tactful and definitely a lot calmer. Don't get me wrong. I'm no saint, and never will be this side of Heaven. But, at least I'm heading in the right direction.

From that day until the present, as I have looked for answers through daily Bible reading and prayer, God has never gone back on the promise to be my Creator-'husband.' Numerous times, help came in at just the right time for house cleaning, repairs, painting, etc. When I've needed extra money to pay for unexpected expenses, it has always come in--sometimes from the most unexpected sources. In future chapters I will write in more detail about specific incidences.

God has never left me, nor has he ever given up on me. He has always exercised patience and kindness toward me. He has never quit loving me. What an awesome God! I know this is not your ordinary love story, but, I hope it gives you a glimpse into why I love God with all my heart, my soul and my mind!

Now, sometimes God does allow times of testing. But when bad things happen I know He is allowing it for a reason, although that reason might not be clear for awhile. For example, one Saturday afternoon in February 1994, I was relaxing on the sofa when my eyes suddenly focused on a telltale “brown” ring on the ceiling above me. My heart sank. The roof over my head had sprung a leak!

To be continued.

9 comments:

  1. You are one amazing Lady....I have just read all 7 chapters and WOW...You have been through so much and yet you hung on to your faith and he promises that God gave you...I feal blessed to have read some of your story.......and through that get to know you a little...
    Thank you for sharing your story.....
    Mandy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Mandy,
    I'm really not amazing at all. Without God's help who knows what I might have done or where I would have ended up! God also knew I needed the 'human touch' and so back in 1985, he made sure I met two very wonderful ladies who cried with me, prayed for me and encouraged me in those early years. They are still my wonderful friends, but eventually I learned how to lean less on them and more on God.

    In future chapters I'll share more trials, struggles--even the time when I refused to heed God's advice. I'm still suffering the consequences of that one to this day!

    Thank you for reading,

    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  3. You know what you wrote is so true. When we have true faith and belief, we are never alone and especially in our darkest hours.
    I'm reading all your blog because you speak the truth and it is an inspiration to us all.
    Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for your encouraging words, Mountain Woman.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's so exciting when we come across verses that just seem to "pop" off the page the God is giving directly to us for that particular time of need. This has happened to me a couple times too.

    I am giving you an award. You can pick it up at http://karenzemek.blogspot.com/2009/04/thanks-for-your-blognet-award-vote.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for sharing this, it is so good. God is amazing! I love that song that has these words in it....."after the testing, comes the blessing" seems like I hear that just when I need it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for stoppinh by, I do think my boy is a cutie too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you! You have a great weekend, too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi friend,

    Thanks for sharing that with us! We love your
    site!! Amen & amen! :)

    Hey. If you get the opportunity, would you
    mind praying for the prayer requests that are
    on our main page?

    May the Lord bless you and your family!!

    Mark, Lynn, Brooke & Carley Seay
    www.LighthousePrayerLine.org

    ps - please consider "following" our blog
    -or- atleast grab one of our free, linking,
    blue buttons. ( see top sidebar at
    www.LighthousePrayerLine.org ).

    •´.¸¸.•¨¯`♥.Visit Us Soon!.♥´¯¨•.¸¸.´•

    ReplyDelete